Orano Projects has an exciting opportunity to recruit a Senior Waste Management Consultant to join a well-established multidisciplinary consultancy business. Orano has an excellent reputation for delivering technical excellence to its clients across the UK. Orano have established themselves as leaders in the area of nuclear site delicensing and the waste management team in the South, based in Abingdon, is growing as a result of its successes.
The successful candidate will have relevant experience of working in the nuclear industry, be able to deliver as a technical lead and project manager, and assist in future growth of the waste management team. The successful candidate should be self-motivated and have established technical expertise in the area of radioactive waste management, with knowledge of regulatory requirements in nuclear site delicensing. Excellent communication skills are required for the writing and peer reviewing of technical documents, and facilitation of workshops with the customer. The vacancy provides an excellent opportunity for those wishing to develop their careers technically and commercially.
Work on a range of consultancy projects with a focus on nuclear site delicensing. Orano is currently supporting three major delicensing projects in the UK. These delicensing projects are being undertaken by following the Data Quality Objectives methodology, a systematic planning process from the US EPA. Work includes a wide variety of activities across the areas of radioactive waste management including:
- Gathering of data in support of characterisation (i.e. history files);
- Facilitation of DQO workshops and provide advice to customers on sampling and analysis requirements, where appropriate;
- Production and support to development of technical documentation e.g. sample and analysis plans;
- Data assessment of sample results;
- Attendance at project and regulatory meetings on site on behalf of the customer;
- Project management, where applicable;
- Support and development of junior members of the team.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in the nuclear industry;
- Good understanding of regulatory requirements in nuclear site delicensing;
- Ability to develop technical work and oversee the work of others;
- Able to work independently and in multi-disciplinary teams;
- Experience in project management;
- Good written and verbal communication skills with the ability to lead interactions with customers and regulators, and facilitate workshops;
- Will need to be able to obtain appropriate security clearance.
A good first degree (2:1 or better) or higher degree in a physical or environmental science is required. A full driving licence is also required for frequent visits to customer sites. Experience in Data Quality Objectives, data analysis and a basic understanding of statistics is desirable but not essential.