Orano Projects Limited is looking for an experienced and motivational section manager with experience in nuclear safety cases.
The section manager will take full responsibility for the management and performance of a section and must co-ordinate, motivate, help to develop and support their team in delivering high quality work that satisfies client requirements. A key part of the role is supporting the Operations Manager in managing the often complex demands of clients, projects and people both current and future and in making sure that communications, within the team, and to/from the business are regular and thorough. All of this to be carried out whilst continuing to deliver high quality technical work.
The section manager role is not a full-time role and woudl be carried out as an additional responsibility to that of a Managing Principal or Principal safety case consultant.
- Enable, promote and set a personal example of strong HS&E culture and values.
- Make sure that the working environment for all staff is, at all times, safe and secure.
Management of a Number of Consultants:
- Plan, organise and staff the Section to deliver a good quality service
- Ensure new staff have an induction plan and work with HR and the Operations Manager to make it happen
- Ensure junior members of staff with on-the-job development needs are coached/have a mentor identified and their development is regularly monitored
- Carry out a full and thorough Appraisal of staff (twice a year). Set ‘SMART’ objectives, give well thought out and reasoned feedback and do all you can to support their continued development
- Review, monitor & support staff progress on professional membership, liaising with HR on training and development opportunities and Technical Authorities (TA) when necessary; make sure all in the Section have an up to date Training Plan
- Ensure consultants are familiar with Company procedures included in the Employee Handbook, the QMS, Security, Health and Safety and the Environment policy and procedures.
- Meet the required utilisation targets for the Section
Communicate regularly with the Section through formal meetings and informal opportunities to:
- Update on business progress against the plan and other Company information
- Ask for feedback and to respond to questions raised previously etc.
- Ensure those on secondment (or away from the Section) remain involved and are communicated to on a regular basis
- Ensure the motivation and morale of the Section and Consultants is maintained.
Management of Client Requirements
- Ensure the client is satisfied with the service and quality of work provided
- Act as an ambassador for the Company at all times
- Seek feedback from the client on a regular basis on performance, progress and communications
Support Senior Management in Developing and Growing the Business:
- Be clear on the long-term vision of the business and of OPL in the UK.
- Actively support the identification of opportunities in the Sales Pipeline tool
- Recognise that Client satisfaction, and therefore Reputation, is a key long-term business deliverable
- Manage the Section so that all have a sustainable level of work
- Pro-actively initiate and support activities to improve the Company’s overall capabilities
- Support and review the progress of projects with the Project Controller on a regular basis
- Actively support the recruitment process to meet the needs of the business plan
- Be clear and up to date with regards to the security of all documentation, computing in general, access to systems (office, on site or remote access), security within the office and personal security
Market Knowledge / Developing Opportunities:
- Bringing work in: Track record of leveraging own knowledge, experience and network to bring work in for self and others
- For bids and projects support in providing resource recognising the balancing act of delivering high quality bids and work and supporting future opportunities
- Identify and report business opportunities, and follow up with support
- Support the business development activities to meet the needs of the business plan
- When requested manage an Account providing updates on opportunities, pipeline updates etc.
Quality Management System:
- A comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the QMS and in particular:
- P01: ‘Opportunity to Order’ and
- P02: ‘Order to Project Completion’
- Ensure that all projects are completed in accordance with the QMS
- A comprehensive knowledge of the Project Workbook and the process for bidding, project start-up, project updates, PM reporting and project closure
- Degree qualified in engineering/science related field
- Ideally chartered or affiliated with key discipline area
- Proven experience of developing and delivery safety cases in highly regulated environments.
- Extensive experience of the nuclear sector (mix of new build and decommissioning highly advantageous)
- Demonstrable experience of client development and liaison
- Ability and willingness to business develop and create opportunities for the business
- Proven track record of mentoring and managing teams
- Examples of being committed to the industry and field of specialism